Strength Against Sources of Sin and Death

Post by Poem on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Notebook: 1945
    Page: 417
    Chp: Strength Against Sources of Sin and Death
    To the Colossians

September 17, 1947

Jesus says:
    “(1:23) It is useless to receive Baptism and the other Sacraments, except for Confession on the verge of death—when it is sincere and honest—and Anointing of the Sick, unless you live by persevering ‘well-grounded and firm in faith, resolute in the hope of the Gospel.’ Indeed, these gifts of infinite value turn against you for your condemnation. For more is asked of those to whom more is given. For the Gospel is Life. For the Sacraments are Strength. For in Christianity everything is active, and woe to those who, with so much Life infused into them, are lukewarm and indolent, vegetating and not working with the great powers which they have been given so as to appear always ‘holy, immaculate, and irreproachable before the Most High.’

“(2:12) The animal man—for such is man deprived of Grace; that is, just as his is when born of woman—in the eyes of God is like a dead man whose corrupt body many not enter to contaminate the Eternal Temple where the Throne of God shines and into whose corrupt body He who fills all Creation with Himself cannot come, omnipresent over all that is, with Power in inferior created things, with Power, Wisdom and Love in man, a superior creation. (God loves His creation: Man)

“But it is not enough for God to have created you. The Perfection of Creation, He wants to dwell in you with his Threefold Perfection, possess you before giving Himself for your possession eternally, enjoy you before you can enjoy Him in Heaven. And Christ, obeying the Father and Love, thus became Incarnate and Immolated Himself to make the water of Baptism not a rite, but life. Christ does this: He grafts you into Life, and Baptism is the agent. Just as if—if it were possible—a surgeon, taking a child dead at birth and joining the child to an active matrix, were to make the baby live, Baptism does the same with you. It takes you when dead. It immerses you in the wave, which is water, but in reality it is blood, my Blood, and restores you alive with the Life which is Grace.

“(2:20) Consider the great freedom of the Christian fortified by the Life he has received. The Apostle says, ‘If, then, you have died with Christ to the elements of the world, why do you subject yourselves to these precepts—do not touch, do not taste, do not use—as if you were still living by the world?’
    “A great truth! Which I said to my faithful ones: ‘Those who believe in Me will cast out demons, drink poisons, touch serpents, step on scorpions, and pass through fire and water and in the midst of wild beasts, and nothing will harm them until I, Life, so grant to robe them in the martyrs’ crimson.’ True Christians ought not to fear the world and its powers; the former and the latter set snares even in the most natural things, like enjoying food, fruit, a flower, a caress given or received, or affection, and good things, created by God so that man, his son, would find joy therein, turn into poisons, serpents, scorpions, water, fire, and wild beasts.

“Have the fullness of Me in you, and without prohibiting for yourselves what God has granted you, just as He granted it to you—with justice, prudence, and temperance—and you will be superior to the snares of the demons and the senses. For I, who overcame death and sin, will strengthen you against the things which can become sins and death.”

Peace be with you always

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm